1. What do you love most about living in Fremantle?
It’s just like living in a country town. You know everyone on your street. I remember my neighbours all coming out to watch my eldest son ride a bike for the first time – the community here is AMAZING.
2. Do you have a favourite beach in WA?
I can’t pick just one! My favourite beaches include Port Beach in Fremantle, Lights Beach in Denmark (Great Southern region of WA), Parakeet Bay on Rottnest Island and Bills Bay up in Coral Bay. These are all beautiful spots but they’re also kid-friendly (sheltered bays, good for swimming, soft white sand etc etc).
3. Tell us a little about Rottnest Island – What makes it so special?
Rottnest is located 22kms from Fremantle and it’s literally full of spectacular beaches! There are no cars so you have to use bikes to explore. You spend your time snorkelling, fishing, boating, relaxing on the beach and taking in some of the most spectacular sunsets you will ever see. The accommodation is basic and beachy and it just can’t be beaten for a family holiday.
4. Are there any other Australian islands that you’ve been to or would like to explore?
I sailed the Whitsundays with my husband before we were married and we visited Hamilton Island. We’ve taken the boys to Stradbroke Island Queensland and I would love to go to Kangaroo Island in South Australia one day.
5. Do you and your family of boys have a favourite summer-time activity?
You will ALWAYS find my boys with their heads under rocks searching for crabs on any shoreline…
6. What are your top tips for a day at the beach with kids?
Never set a time limit on beach days! Bring enough food for an entire day – heaps of shade, a trolley full of balls, beach cricket, canoes and paddle boards! And of course wear the cutest swim shorts you can find…